Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Salute to Politically Incorrect Coaches

I stayed up late watching the Penn State vs. Florida State Orange Bowl football game last night. There was a camera shot of the Florida State sidelines late in the game which really struck me. For maybe two seconds, they showed the young Florida State quarterback with what I assumed was a coach leaning over as if speaking into his ear so only he would hear. I would not normally have thought anything about it. However, the TV announcer commented that it was the team chaplain that was talking to him. I thought “Wow! They have a chaplain!” I had no idea coaches were able to get away with such a thing at government supported schools anymore. My first reaction was that this must be unusual. However, I just went out to Google and did a search on the exact phrase “football team chaplain” along with the word “college” and got 244 hits! I saw mentions of Auburn, Southern Mississippi, Mississippi State, Clemson, Marshal, Rutgers, Georgia, Nebraska, and Texas A&M to name a few. I say we salute all the coaches who are unafraid to be politically incorrect!

No comments: