Monday, October 31, 2005

My Purpose This Week? And Yours?

My Sunday School literature asked a really deep question as I was reading tonight, “What purpose does God have for you this week in your family, in your job, in your social relationships?” For some reason, this really struck a chord with me. There are so many possible answers. Here are some answers I thought of:

  • God wants me to be a good example for my children this week.

  • God wants me to love my wife unselfishly this week.

  • God wants me to honor Him in the way that I do my job this week.

  • God wants me to show Christian love and respect to my co-workers this week.

  • God wants me to be a Christian friend this week.

  • God wants me to allow a Christian friend to hold me accountable for the way I live my life this week.

  • As they have given me permission, God wants me to hold my Christian friends accountable for their lives this week, too.

  • God wants me to avoid temptations which draw me away from Him this week.

  • God wants me to be a good steward of the financial blessings He has put in my care this week.

  • God wants me to live below my means and return a portion of my financial blessings to Him and the Church this week.

  • God wants me to give thanks to Him this week.

  • God wants me to praise Him this week.

  • God wants me to want to have an even closer relationship to Him this week and not just because I want Him to do me a favor.

  • God wants me to live my life this week so it is a positive witness to anyone who might be paying attention.

  • God wants me to pray that the Holy Spirit would lead me to someone whose heart has been prepared to hear about Jesus this week.

  • God wants me to pray that I will be ready and willing to respond when the Holy Spirit prompts me to take action this week.

  • God wants me to offer encouragement to someone who needs it this week.

  • God wants me to forgive someone who has done me wrong this week.

I would love to hear some of your responses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well my purpose this week is huge! My husband cut through his hand and down his arm with a radial arm saw at U.S. Steel and I am now his wife/nurse/support and oh my this is going to be a long road of purpose! Pray for us!! Thank you, faith4u

Philip Hartman said...

That's horrible. I pray that God will bless him with healing... and you with strength and wisdom to help him.