Saturday, November 11, 2006

Facing Our Fears

If you have not yet ventured out to the movie theater to see the movie "Facing the Giants" then let me give the movie my personal recommendation. (Click here for a 2 minute video clip.) There are many stories woven together in a powerful way.
  • The story of a football coach who feels like a failure in his career which could apply to anyone struggling with how they make a living.
  • The parents of the football players who plot to have the coach fired even thought he is a "fine man" because they value winning more.
  • The young wife who desperately wants to have children but hasn't after four years of trying
  • The faithful Christian who has been "prayer walking" along the halls of a high school for years asking God to send revival to the students of the school.
  • The teenage boy who routinely disrepects his father.
  • The teenage boy who has always been physically too small and too weak.
  • The father in a wheelchair trying to raise a teenage son into a man by himself

I'd like to point out to other things which struck me.
  • This film was basically produced on faith by a single church that wanted to impact the world at large, Sherwood Baptist in the small town of Albany, Georgia. This is an amazing example of how God can use regular people who want to let God use them in a mighty way for His purposes.
  • My favorite scene is when the current coach of the University of Georgia, Mark Richt, visits the main character in the football team locker room and tells him how many times the Bible says to "have no fear" right before the state championship game. I know I've often been too timid, too hesitant, and in general fallen victim to fear. I wonder how many blessings I've missed out on in life because I've not taken step one on faith when God prompted me to. By the way, click here to read Mark Richt's testimony




Copyright © 2006 by Philip Hartman - All Rights Reserved



No comments: