Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Hungry for Books Overseas

I had a conversation with Patti Joy Posan, Executive Director of the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge a while back. It helped illuminate a need that I would like to share with my readers. Perhaps someone can offer a solution. Everyone can pray about it.

I know that there are Christians in far away places and in countries where Christianity is not the dominant religion who are hungry for Bible-based, Christian reading material both for their own spiritual growth and for sharing with others. I've been trying to help just such an organization, the Christian Communication Center in India, which operates lending libraries for that very purpose.

Through Patti Posan, I discovered that there is a large supply of Christian reading material (about 8000 books as of about a month ago) sitting in a warehouse in Sewanee, Tennesse just a couple of hours from me. These books have been donated to the SPCK over the years from church members and pastors. The only thing which keeps the books out of the hands of the eager souls overseas is money to ship the books to them. Books are pretty heavy and the cost to ship them half-way around the world is not trivial.

I was wondering.
  • Is there someone out there in the business world who happens to have a shipping container headed towards India or some other country where English is reasonably well known who might be able to slip in a shipment of books inside for no additional cost?
  • Is there someone out there who has a heart for overseas missions and has been blessed financially who could donate out of their abundance to help finance a shipment?
Anyway, I ask that my readers to please pray for a solution to this transportation problem. I'd love to hear from readers via email or through comments to this post.





Copyright © 2005 by Philip Hartman - All Rights Reserved



1 comment:

Phil said...

gb,

Thanks for stopping by!